If you want to have healthy teeth and gums, it is important that you regularly visit a dental hygienist in a dental office as part of your preventive care. Today, it is no longer a cosmetic procedure but a therapeutic intervention removing persistent bacterial dental plaque, also known as biofilm. At‑home dental care does not remove it sufficiently, as some parts of the oral cavity are difficult to reach.
The result of dental hygiene is clean teeth without biofilm and gums without bleeding. This condition is necessary for all other dental interventions, because in the presence of bleeding gums, tartar or periodontitis we cannot guarantee dental treatment of 100% quality. However, there is no reason to be concerned; if you start giving proper care to dental hygiene according to the instructions of a dental hygienist, oral cavity disease can be stopped in almost all patients. In incipient caries, re‑mineralization takes place over time and the diseased gum heals by the removal of the causes of dental plaque.
We recommend that you undergo dental hygiene twice a year!
Contact our Zolárek dental centre and we will look after your teeth.
How is dental hygiene performed in a dental office?
- At your first meeting with a dentist, we will thoroughly examine your teeth and establish a preliminary diagnosis.
- During your next visit of a dental hygienist, we will show you the difference between a healthy condition of the oral cavity and a severe tooth disease and periodontal disease. In addition, you will be explained the relationship between dental plaque and caries, gum inflammation, periodontitis and tartar.
- You will show us how you use your at‑home dental care tools. Therefore, bring your own toothbrush with you.
- To help you remember where bacterial dental plaque is located and where it is not, we will use food coloring. This will enable you to spot places in the oral cavity that are difficult to clean due to insufficient reach by toothbrush bristles.
- We identify the places in which dental plaque could be more efficiently removed using greater care and a better toothbrushing technique.
- Afterwards, you will obtain instructions for correct oral hygiene. We will explain how to use the toothbrush in your mouth and together we will practice the correct toothbrushing technique. In addition, you will be recommended appropriate tools for effective at‑home cleaning.
- Subsequently, using special instruments, we will professionally remove tartar, not only right above your gums but also below the gum level.
- Cleaned in this way, the tooth surfaces will then be polished with special rubber brushes and prophylactic paste. The result will be smooth surface with reduced occurrence of plaque.
- After this we will apply fluoride gel or varnish onto the teeth, which supports the re‑mineralization of teeth, making them more resistant to the effect of acids and the formation of caries, but also protected against increased sensitivity.
If you regularly undergo dental hygiene in a dental surgery and follow the rules of at‑home dental care, your teeth should remain aesthetic, healthy and functional in the long term. Therefore, see our advice on how to brush your teeth correctly!